1 September 2016 – 445.2016-17 – Contract between the PCC and chief police officers
I write in connection with your request for information which was received by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner on 09 August 2016. I note you seek access to the following information:
- Does the Chief Constable (and other Chief Police Officers in your force / constabulary) have a contract with the Police and Crime Commissioner / Police Authority or equivalent?
- If yes – what specific contractual matters are detailed therein (for each chief officer)?
- If unwilling to identify the specific contractual terms therein, please provide details of the broad terms and conditions detailed therein for each chief officer (for example does the contract provide for private medical insurance / “golden hello” payments or other inducements)
- Details of any payments, reimbursements or allowances paid or made to each of your chief officers, other than those explicitly permitted in police regulations.
- In addition I would be obliged if you could provide details of any statutory authority that permits the Police and Crime Commissioner / Police Authority or equivalent to enter into any contracts as detailed in this request, with chief officers.
Please provide all details for the past 5 years.
Extent and Result of Searches to Locate Information
To locate the information relevant to your request searches were conducted within the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held.
I have today decided to disclose the located information to you.
Since the creation of Police and Crime Commissioners (Nov 2012), it is only the Chief Constable whose services are engaged by the Police and Crime Commissioner. The other Chief Officers are the responsibility of the Chief Constable. There is not a contract in the sense of a normal contract of employment because the terms and conditions are set by law and so the Commissioner appoints a Chief Constable and there are terms of appointment which are set out in a letter to the Chief.
Question 2 & 3
Current Chief Constable Jones
The current Chief Constable was appointed in June 2013 and details in relation to his extension can be found under the following links.
- 001/2016: Extension to the Chief Constable’s Term of Appointment – 12 January 2016
Prior to June 2013
The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) was appointed in November 2012 and between the PCC commencing and CC Jones being appointed, DCC Madgwick was Acting Chief Constable.
DCC Magwick was already acting as CC prior to the commencement of the PCC and was appointed by the North Yorkshire Police Authority, not the commissioner. Details of the terms of appointment can be found within the links below.
In 2013 a review of the terms of appointment for Chief Officers was carried out and the Decision Notices can be found on the PCC’s website under the following links:
- 081/2013: Review-of-chief-police-officer-remuneration-terms-and-condition
- 086/2013: Review of Chief Police Officer Remuneration Terms and Conditions
Expenses of the Chief Officer Team are published and can be found via the following links
The law relating to the appointment of a Chief Constable by the PCC can be found in the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, please see the link below.
Please note that systems used for recording information are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. It should be noted therefore that this force’s response to your questions should not be used for comparison purposes with any other responses you may receive.
Your attention is drawn to the attached sheet which details your right of complaint.
If you have any queries concerning this request, please contact me quoting the reference number above.