This accessibility statement applies to northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk.
This website is run by North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- Some of our links cannot be determined from the link text alone
- Some imagery may not have text alternatives (alt-text)
- Some of our videos do not have accurate captions
- Some of the text in documents doesn’t have sufficient colour contrast
- Some imagery may not have text-alternatives (alt-text)
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email email@example.com
- call 01423 569 562
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us on 01423 569 562 and ask for the Website Manager or complete our online form.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software. These do not meet the following criteria:
1.3.1 Info and relationships
1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)
1.4.5 Images of text
1.4.12 Text spacing
2.4.6 Headings and labels
We plan to fix these by December 2021.
Some videos do not have subtitles, failing WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.2 (captions, prerecorded). When we publish new videos we’ll make sure our use of video meets accessibility standards. We plan to complete these fixes by December 2021.
Some of our links cannot be determined from the link text alone . There is no text label associated with search input in the header. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.1 (infor and relationships). We plan to add text alternatives for all images by December 2021.
Not all text has the correct colour contrast, which makes it difficult for someone with visual impairments to see the content properly. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.3 (contrast minimum). We plan to complete these fixes by December 2021.
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We plan to add text alternatives for all images by December 2021
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents. By [December 2021], we plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix Annual Report 2016/17.
We plan to add captions to all video content on our website, hosted on our YouTube channel.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
Our accessibility roadmap shows how and when we plan to improve accessibility on this website.
- 2020 September – Undertake accessibility audit
- 2020 October – Identify areas of improvement
- 2021 January – All known accessibility issues to be resolved
- 2021 February – Retest website for accessibility issues
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 16th April 2021. It was last reviewed on 16th April 2021.
This website was last tested on 2nd December 2020. The test was carried out by Mixd.
As the website comprises many pages, it was not practicable to test every page manually and so a representative page sample approach was taken. All templates, enabling all different types of content, were tested.
- Homepage – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/
- For you – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/for-you/
- Priorities – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/for-you/priorities/
- Disclosure log – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/foi/disclosure-log/
- News – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/news/
- Decision notices – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/decision-notices/
- DN 10/2020 AJ1 Project Road Safety Fund – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/decision-notices/dn-10-2020-aj1-project-road-safety-fund/
- Contact – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/contact/
- Enquiry – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/contact/enquiry/
- Police memorabilia auction – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/how-can-we-help/common-problems/police-memorabilia-auction/
- Vacancies – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/how-can-we-help/get-involved/vacancies/
- Joint Independent Audit Committee – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/police-oversight/governance/jiac/