This accessibility statement applies to northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk.
This website is run by North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- Some of our links cannot be determined from the link text alone
- Some imagery may not have text alternatives (alt-text)
- Some of our videos do not have accurate captions
- Some of the text in documents doesn’t have sufficient colour contrast
- Some imagery may not have text-alternatives (alt-text)
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email email@example.com
- call 01423 569 562
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us on 01423 569 562 and ask for the Website Manager or complete our online form.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software. These do not meet the following criteria:
1.3.1 Info and relationships
1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)
1.4.5 Images of text
1.4.12 Text spacing
2.4.6 Headings and labels
PDFs published after December 2021 conform to the accessibility guidelines.
We do not intend on updating PDFs published before December 2021 due to their volume. If you need access to an older PDF due to it not meeting the guidelines, please contact us.
Some videos do not have subtitles, failing WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.2 (captions, prerecorded). When we publish new videos we’ll make sure our use of video meets accessibility standards. Videos published after December 2021 conform to the accessibility guidelines.
Some older images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). Non decorative images published after December 2021 will have alternative text included.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix Annual Report 2016/17.
We will add captions to all video content on our website, either manually or by using captions produced by YouTube, where our videos are hosted.
What we’ve done and what we’re doing to improve accessibility
Our accessibility roadmap shows how we are improving accessibility on this website.
- 2020 September – Undertake accessibility audit.
- 2020 October – Identify areas of improvement.
- 2021 January – All known accessibility issues resolved.
- 2021 February – Retest website for accessibility issues.
- 2022 October – Review accessibility statement and website content, all known issues resolved by January 2023.
- 2023 October – Review accessibility statement and website content.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was originally prepared on 16th April 2021. It was reviewed and updated on 16th April 2021, 28 October 2022 and 11 January 2023.
2020 Accessibility audit
This website was tested on 2nd December 2020. The test was carried out by Mixd.
As the website comprises many pages, it was not practicable to test every page manually and so a representative page sample approach was taken. All templates, enabling all different types of content, were tested.
- Homepage – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/
- For you – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/for-you/
- Priorities – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/for-you/priorities/
- Disclosure log – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/foi/disclosure-log/
- News – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/news/
- Decision notices – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/decision-notices/
- DN 10/2020 AJ1 Project Road Safety Fund – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/decision-notices/dn-10-2020-aj1-project-road-safety-fund/
- Contact – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/contact/
- Enquiry – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/contact/enquiry/
- Police memorabilia auction – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/how-can-we-help/common-problems/police-memorabilia-auction/
- Vacancies – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/how-can-we-help/get-involved/vacancies/
- Joint Independent Audit Committee – https://www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk/police-oversight/governance/jiac/
2022 Government Digital service Audit
- The website was tested by Government Digital Services on 21 September 2022 Accessibility report for www.northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk (accessibility-monitoring.service.gov.uk)
- All issues identified in the audit were fixed by 11 January 2023.
Feedback from Government Digital Services 11 January 2023
- As part of our reporting process we provide the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) with details about public sector bodies that are tested.
- Based on the information you have provided we will be recommending to the EHRC that no further action is taken.
- The EHRC has the right to overturn this recommendation. They will contact you if they need to take further action.
- On behalf of the Minister for the Cabinet Office, we make a decision on the compliance of accessibility statements.
- We have determined that your statement is compliant. Please add timelines to the issues listed in the statement.
- Our monitoring is based on a sampling process. It is possible that your website may be put forward for further testing in the future. It is important that accessibility standards are maintained.
Last updated 11 January 2023