Appointment of Chief Fire Officer
Our Ref: NY7834 - 2 August 2022
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST REFERENCE NO: NY7834
I write in connection with your request for information that was received by the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire (OPFCC) on 10th June 2022. Please accept our apologies for the delay in providing you with a response.
I note you seek access to the following information:
For the appointment of the chief fire officer for North Yorkshire in 2022, please could you tell me the following:
- How many applications did you receive
- Where was the position advertised
- How many did you short-list for interview
Extent and Result of Searches to Locate Information
To locate the information relevant to your request searches were conducted within the OPFCC.
I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by the OPFCC.
I have today decided to disclose the located information to you.
I can confirm that:
- The Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner received one application for the post of Chief Fire Officer
- The advert for the role was publicly advertised on the 16th March 2022 with a closing date of 11th April 2022. Advertisements were placed on the North Yorkshire OPFCC, North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service external and internal, the National Fire Chiefs’ Council, the Women in the Fire Service and the Asian Fire Service Association websites. The NFCC is the primary site for all senior fire appointments. In addition, the advert was circulated across social media and LinkedIn. The deadline was extended for an additional 2 weeks to 25th April 2022 to explore whether a larger field of candidates would apply. At the outset and after extending the window, the Commissioner wrote to all Chief Fire Officers in the country, asking them to promulgate the opportunity of becoming Chief Fire Officer in North Yorkshire, amongst their senior teams. The advertisement was open for applications for a period of 40 days which is well above the applicable standard of 21 days
- One candidate was shortlisted for interview after an extensive recruitment campaign
Please note a full and comprehensive report in terms of the Chief Fire Officer candidate’s application, background to the recruitment campaign, details of the process followed and a personal statement from the preferred candidate can be found on North Yorkshire County Council’s website as submitted for the Police, Fire and Crime Panel’s meeting of 25th May 2022 in line with the requirement for the Police, Fire and Crime Panel to confirm the appointment of the preferred candidate:
- Item 6b Supporting information from the PFCC 2022-05-25 REVISED.pdf (northyorks.gov.uk)
- Item 6c Personal statement of preferred appointee 2022-05-25.pdf (northyorks.gov.uk)
In addition, guidance for the Police , Fire and Crime Panel in relation to the Confirmation Hearing and process was also published for the Police, Fire and Crime Panel meeting of 25th May 2022:
Please note that systems used for recording information are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. It should be noted therefore that the OPFCC’s response to your questions should not be used for comparison purposes with any other responses you may receive.
Your attention is drawn to the attached sheet which details your right of complaint.
If you have any queries concerning this request, please contact me quoting the reference number above.
Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, North Yorkshire