Your Commissioner - Your Voice

Commissioner Zoë can ask questions on your behalf in her Online Public Meeting with the Chief Constable or Chief Fire Officer. Ask your question and find out more.


Help and advice on parking issues

Dangerous parking

North Yorkshire Police have sole responsibility for certain non-yellow line parking offences on the roads such as dangerous parking, obstruction and all moving traffic offences.

The police can only take action if the vehicle is blocking a pavement or causing an obstruction to the highway and then only if they witness the offence.

To report a vehicle causing an obstruction or hindering the safety of the public you should report it to the police by calling 101.

Reporting a parking infringement

To report a parking infringement, for example:

  • parking on single or double yellow lines
  • parking on zig zag lines at a school or crossing
  • parking across a footpath dropped kerb for use by public/disabled to cross the road
  • parking in a parking bay outside the bay markings
  • parking without a permit
  • or miss use of a Blue Badge.

report to:

How we can help

We have been able to help in the past, where there had been a reoccurring issue of obstructive parking. This was achieved by raising awareness of the issue with the local policing team.

If you have a reoccurring parking concern, it’s important that you also report it to your local authority, as there may be a need for a more permanent solution.