Your Commissioner - Your Voice

Commissioner Zoë can ask questions on your behalf in her Online Public Meeting with the Chief Constable or Chief Fire Officer. Ask your question and find out more.

Annual fire budget

Prudent forward planning is at the heart of our approach

In 2023/24 the gross budget requirement is £41.4m

The Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner has responsibility for the fire budget, which comprises a combination of central government grants and money from the local police precept.

About 30 per cent of funding comes from the Government while the remaining 70 per cent is raised locally, mainly through the ‘fire precept‘– the amount you pay for the fire and rescue service in your council tax.

Funding for the fire service

Fire – Funding 2022/23 2023/24
Funding from Government £8.8m £9.5m
Council tax precept – your contribution £23.4m £25.2m
Specific grants £4.6m £4.8m
Fees, Charges and Partnerships £0.6m £0.7m
Use of Reserves £0.8m £1.2m
Total funding £38.2m £41.4m

Fire budget breakdown

Fire – Budget 2022/23 2023/24
Firefighter pay £22.6m £24.0m
Control and support staff £4.7m £5.4m
Supplies and Services £3.8m £3.9m
Premises and equipment £2.1m £2.4m
Private Finance Initiative £1.6m £1.7m
Transport £0.9m £1.0m
Capital financial charges £1.7m £2.1m
Other costs £0.8m £0.9m
Total spending plan £38.2m £41.4m

How the money will be spent

  • Investment in specialist roles to improve prevention and protection activity.
  • Investment in fire stations to ensure they are accessible to a diverse workforce and the public.
  • 16 new fire engines, 12 for delivery in 2023/24 and 4 in 2024/25.
  • Upgrading all breathing apparatus sets to improve fire fighter safety.
  • Increasing costs of gas, electricity, fuel, insurance, and other services linked to the cost of living increase.

Budget Book for North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (Fire and Rescue Authority).

This document details revenue and capital budgets by Function along with reporting deadlines.

Last updated – 26 May 2023

Related Pages