Published: 6 February 2020
Review date: 6 February 2021
Policy owner: Data Protection Officer
Consent Statement – North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner
In processing personal data of all individuals, the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner will adhere to the following assurances around consent as stipulated under the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018, and in line with guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- We will rely on consent of the individual, only when it is the most appropriate lawful basis for processing.
- All requests for consent will be made prominent and separate from any other terms and conditions.
- Where consent is relied upon, we will ask people to positively opt in.
- We will not use pre-ticked boxes or any other form of default consent.
- We will use clear, plain language that is easy to understand.
- We will specify to the data subject why we want the data and what we are going to do with it through our privacy notices published on our website.
- We will give clear options to consent separately to different purposes and types of processing.
- When actively seeking consent, we will name any third party data controllers who will rely on the consent also.
- When giving consent to process data, we will inform the data subject of their rights in withdrawing consent.
- We will ensure that individuals can refuse to consent without detriment.
- We will avoid making consent a precondition of a service.
- We will ensure that, when processing data relating to children under the age of 13, the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner will gain the consent of a parent or appropriate adult.
- We will keep a record of any consent received. Consent may be given verbally or in writing.
- We will keep a record of conversations around consent being given, including any advice given.
- We will regularly review consents received to check that the relationship, processing and purposes have not changed.
- We have processes in place to refresh consent at appropriate intervals, including any parental given consents.
- We publicise the ease of withdrawing consent at any time.
- We will act on withdrawals of consent as soon as possible.
- We will not penalise individuals who wish to withdraw consent.
The above includes the processing of all personal data, including sensitive and special category data.
Where explicit consent is given for voluntary or compulsory referrals, risk assessments and requests to share information, the above will still apply.
Individuals have the right to withdraw their consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before the withdrawal. Before giving consent, individuals will be informed about their right to withdraw consent at any time.
First published: May 2018
Updated 6 February 2020
PCC to PFCC